The Asociación de Estudios Manuel Vázquez Montalbán and Centre for Iberian and Latin American Visual Studies (CILAVS) at Birkbeck, University of London are organising the FIFTH MANUEL VÁZQUEZ MONTALBÁN’S INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE: “Diagnosing the present: literary interventions on globalization and neoliberalism.”
9-10 September, 2019.
Place: Birkbeck, University of London
School of Arts, 43 Gordon Square, Bloomsbury, London WC1H 0PD, United Kingdom
Manuel Vázquez Montalbán’s thought was always characterized by his political insights on current affairs, which permeated all genres and aspects of his writing. This political dimension has been mostly studied in relation to the Spanish, Catalan and Barcelona contexts. Marking forty years of the hegemony of the neoliberal “common sense”, signalled by Margaret Thatcher’ coming to power in the UK in 1979, followed soon after by that of Ronald Reagan in the US, this conference will shift that focus from local to global parameters. Taking the work of Manuel Vázquez Montalbán as reference, we aim to explore the contributions of Hispanic literature and culture of his time considering the emergence and impact of neoliberalism. Possible topics include, but are not limited to the following:
- What use made Vázquez Montalbán in his work of the terms neoliberalism, postmodernity, imperialism, globalization, neocapitalism, neoconservative revolution? How are these terms applied and to whom? How do these uses compare to those of other authors, intellectuals and artists of his time?
- What theoretical, thematic and stylistic influences can be perceived in Vázquez Montalbán’s articulation of these topics? What other authors, intellectuals an artists of his time received these or, by contrast, different influences?
- Global politics and literary and journalist genres. How did Vázquez Montalbán mobilized genre form and content to convey comments and judgements on global politics?
- Vázquez Montalbán’s legacy and influence as political thinker through his literature, and compared to other authors, intellectuals and artists of his time.
- Vázquez Montalbán now. Rights and wrongs in his contemporary diagnoses, and compared to other authors, intellectuals and artists of his time.
- Other comparative approaches to the work of Manuel Vázquez Montalbán on globalization and neoliberalism.
Send a title, summary of your paper (200 words) and bio-bib (15 lines max) to the following address: https://nettskjema.no/answer/113602.html#/page/1
Deadline for reception of proposals 15 June, 2019.
We extended the deadline to July 15
The languages of the conference will be Spanish and English.
A selection of revised papers will be considered for publication in the Association’s online journal, MVM. Cuadernos de Estudios Manuel Vázquez Montalbán.
The Asociación de Estudios Manuel Vázquez Montalbán, is a not-for-profit organisation devoted to the preservation, recuperation and dissemination of the author’ work. In addition, it aims to stimulate the academic study of this work and to promote its knowledge and appreciation amongst the general public.